Table of Contents
The 80s were the primary time when you could express yourself through clothes, accessories, and hair. The 1980s was an expression overload, so why wouldn’t you want to have a guide to figure out how to become a 1980s fashion icon like most people in the 80s. If you look back at some old pictures of people in the 80s, you will see the many different styles in people, all always dress to stand out more, setting themselves apart from someone else by adding a little more flair to their clothes. Let’s add some 80s style to your life; in this article, I will give you the complete 1980s fashion guide that will make people think you were born in that decade.
The entire definition of 80s style
There were no rules when it came to fashion in the 80s; if you could dream it, you could wear it. You would see people that like to dress over the top with big shoulder pads and fancy pants. Then there are the other people who are okay with having on some ripped jeans and a graphic t-shirt.
And the ones that will rock the fancy pants and the shoulder pads would typically have a simple comb hairstyle. And the ones that will rock the ripped jeans and graphic tees would generally have that punk rock-styled hair.
This is only a brief explanation of the various style of the 80s. Below I have listed the complete 80s fashion list; you need to look just like they did in the 80s.
80s Colors and Patterns
- Bright colors– can be a great way to add fun and personality to your look. They can be worn year-round and are perfect for making a statement.
- Bold patterns– can add visual interest to your outfits. They are perfect for adding a pop of color and can be worn year-round.
- Animal prints– were also popular in the 80s. You would see them on clothing, accessories, and even home decor.
- Leopard print 80s-It was all the rage! You couldn’t go anywhere without seeing it. It was on clothes, accessories, and even furniture. Everyone wanted a piece of the leopard print trend.
80s styled Socks
- Leg warmers- People wear these to keep their legs warm in the wintertime. But you would also see people wearing these 80s clothes to look cool and stylish.
- Knee-high socks- are another popular way to keep your legs warm in the winter. These were an 80s fashion statement.
- Ankle socks– were also popular in the 80s. They could be worn with a variety of shoes and were a great way to show off your ankles.
- Mini skirts- Mini skirts were another must-have in the 80s. They were super short and usually paired with a tight top or sweater.
- Maxi skirts- Maxi skirts were also popular in the 80s. They were long and flowing and usually made from lightweight fabric.
- Skater skirts- Skater skirts were also popular in the 80s. They were shorter than mini skirts but still flared out at the bottom.
- Tulle skirt- The tulle skirt was another fun and flirty look that became popular in the 80s. It came in a wide variety of styles and colors.
Top 1980s Dresses
- Dresses with big bows– Big bows were a popular trend in the 80s, especially on women’s dresses. They gave a fun and flirty look to any outfit.
- Polka dot dress– The polka dot dress was another popular trend in the 80s. It came in all different colors and patterns and could be worn for a variety of occasions.
Some of the best 80s shoes
- High heels– have been a staple in women’s wardrobes for decades. They can add some much-needed height and elegance to any outfit.
- Flats are a great alternative to high heels. They are comfortable and can be worn with a variety of outfits.
- Sneakers are a great way to add comfort and style to your look. They come in a variety of styles and can be worn with a variety of outfit.
- Chunky boots– are a great way to keep warm during the colder months. They can be worn with dresses, skirts, and pants and come in various colors and styles.
- Boat shoes are a great way to add a touch of nautical style to your look. They can be worn year-round and are perfect for casual outfits.
80s Sunglasses must haves
- Aviator sunglasses- A 80s style that everyone had to have. They are great for adding a bit of edge to your look, and they can be worn year-round.
- Wayfarer sunglasses- were another popular style of sunglasses in the 80s. They are perfect for adding a bit of retro flair to your look and can be worn year-round.
- Butterfly sunglasses- They are a great way to add some fun and personality to your look.
- Ray-Ban sunglasses- are a classic style of sunglasses that never goes out of style. They are perfect for any season and can be worn with many different outfits.
- Neon glasses– They can be a great way to add some bold color to your look and are perfect for making a statement.
- Glasses with thick black frames– They are perfect for adding a bit of edge to your look and can also be worn as a statement piece.
Gloves most people worn in the 80s
- Fingerless gloves– A 80s fashion women must have. They were typically made from leather or faux leather and came in a variety of styles and colors.
- Long gloves- Long gloves were also popular in the 80s. They could be made from a variety of materials and came in both solid colors and bold prints.
- Bucket hats- were a popular accessory in the 80s. They were typically made from cotton or denim and came in a variety of colors and designs.
- Mittens Beret- A beret is a French hat typically worn in the winter. It is made from wool or another warm material.
A list of some of the top designers in the 1980s
1. Tommy Hilfiger was one of the most popular clothing lines, founded in 1986. Tommy Hilfiger worked his way to the top by working with many different clothing lines already established and designers. Some of them were Jordache jeans and Pepe jeans.
Once Tommy Hilfiger started his career as a fashion designer in the 80s, he began to bunch out and create other things. Some of the things he invested in were perfume, glasses, shoes, and much more.
2. Guess: was officially founded in 1981 by two brothers named Marciano and Maurice Georges. This whole company was built in the family because Marciano and Maurice were designing the clothes. Remarkably, the family can work together to create a legendary clothing line.
The other two brothers, Armand and Paul, were in charge of the distribution and advertising. These are four guys that are super talented and creative.
3. Dolce & Gabbana: In 1985, two Italian designers named Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana founded this company. So obviously, the company’s name was taken from each of their last names. This company is one of the most iconic fashion houses in Italy.
And it all started with these two guys that wanted to design clothes together. They met each other while they were working for the same company. And that is how their journey started to create one of the most popular fashion brands in the world.
4. DKNY: Made by Donna Karan in 1985, this clothing line was a great hit. Donna teamed up with her husband, Stephan Weiss, to start their first company with Anne Klein. And then later, they bunched off, and Donna began her line, which was called DKNY. “DKNY” spells out (Donna Karan, New York). She added New York at the end because she wanted to take New York Fashion by storm, which she indeed achieved.
5. Ralph Lauren: One of my favorites, Ralph Lauren, was created in 1967. This company was initially called Polo until 1987. It all started when Ralph worked for Brooks Brothers as a sales assistant. He then left and began making ties with a wide variety of different patterns.
People liked his design, so he decided to open up his store in 1967. And the rest is history. Ralph Lauren is now one of the most iconic 80s fashion brands in America.
6. Versace: Another one of my favorites, Gianni Versace, was founded in 1978. This company is an Italian fashion design house. Gianni started his career by working with his mother as a dressmaker. He then moved to Milan to work in fashion design.
And that is where he met his sister, Donatella Versace, who is now the company’s vice president. Gianni Versace was a very talented man, and he even designed costumes for the movie “Batman Returns.”
Conclusion about 1980s fashion
The 1980s was a decade of self-expression and creativity when it came to 1980s fashion. If you want to become a fashion icon like many people from that era, follow the tips in this guide. From choosing the right clothes to investing in iconic sunglasses and gloves, you can achieve that 80s look. And don’t forget to top it off with a beret! You can become an 80s fashion icon with the right attitude and style.